Fulfilling a Childhood Dream



During the early years of primary school, I constantly fantasized as I was drifting off to sleep at night about walking a path in the jungle, with a backpack over my shoulder, a machete in my hand and the humid air, combined with my sweat, slowly soaking my clothes.

If someone had told me that at the age of twenty I would be walking in the Andes jungle, I would not have believed them.

Christmas morning, Wilfred and I set off on a leisurely 10km hike to “some nice waterfalls, mate”. This was my first experience of the jungle. Bamboos and ficuses growing wildly, with palm trees poking through the undergrowth like skyscrapers. Birds, bugs and amphibians flying, crawling, jumping and buzzing around, which made even the air feel like it’s alive. Seeing these plants and animals in their natural habitat was enchanting.

After a five-kilometer stroll, we took a cable car over a valley, which gave us a chance to view the scenery from above. A narrow river ran along the bottom of the valley which prevented us from crossing on foot, but little did we know that the river was the home to some of astounding waterfalls. On the other side of the valley, we walked another 4-5 kilometers, during which we saw six different waterfalls, each more captivating amd riveting than the last. Wilf and I even went barefoot, knee-deep into the chilling river, which subsequently made our feet quite toasty in our shoes.

We experienced a little bit of rain on our way back, to the cable car. We could hear the drops pounding on the wide leaves and see them when there was an empty patch in the greenery, yet not many actually fell on us.

On our way back to Mindo -- the town we are staying in -- we toasted to Christmas with some fresh sugarcane juice, with a touch of lemon, that had been squeezed right in front of us.


Yes, I miss my friends and family quite a bit, but this was definitely one of the best Christmas days of my life.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Dandy one signs Off

Secrets of a River

Melting into his arms...