First impressions

Loja, the city that looks like it was designed by a soviet architect, with his hipster nephew finishing the job after his uncle was fired for “drinking and planning”. The city in which old and rugged meets modern and comfortable multiple times on the same block. Where traffic-laws are mere suggestions and the only time anyone cares about them is if a cop is literally standing in the middle of the street. I got an “aww, el gringo” when I stood and waited for the light to turn green before crossing the road. And let me just say, yes, Germany’s policemen look fine, but these motorcycle cops in Loja would be any gay man’s dream.


The people are wonderfully friendly and helpful, although they stare a little too much. The streets have a lively and energetic atmosphere, with cars buzzing around and pedestrians running across streets in a suicidal manner.


In case anyone was worried, I’m fine. I’m settled into my temporary room at my boss’ house, where I can stay until I find my own place. Stefany, my boss’ daughter, took me to a wonderful place for lunch, where I had soup with corn, pork, and fried green bananas, and as the main course shrimp with rice and some salad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dandy one signs Off

Secrets of a River

Melting into his arms...