My Tyler Durden is a Latina

Street art at the art festival of Loja
I never understood why certain people developed alter egos or double personalities, but two weeks ago, I developed mine: Rebecca.
She wasn’t planning on destroying skyscrapers or loudly copulating with the girl I’m twistedly attracted to, but she did fight for me when I was powerless, just like Tyler did in Fight Club.
I developed Rebecca as a character for a future short story as I was walking to work one day. She is a 168 cm young Latina, in her early twenties, with a sassy temperament and no filter. She always wears black or red high heels, with dark blue skinny jeans, a tucked-in white blouse with the top two buttons undone, and a red handkerchief around her neck, to balance out her cherry lipstick and fair skin.
Once I had the character developed, I described her to Erato and she gave her the name: Rebecca. At first Erato found the character entertaining, but as Rebecca developed in my head she started intervening in my life, by vicariously expressing herself through me. Every time I didn’t like something, but couldn’t say anything, Rebecca emerged from the deepest, darkest corner of my brain and won the argument against Erato, using passive aggression, witty remarks, or simply bringing up something that Erato had done is the past, but was not necessarily related to the topic.
Two day ago, I had to sit down and have a personal intervention and let Rebecca go. She is now roaming the streets of Loja, on her own, and terrorizing people that pass her, by identifying their insecurities and making a nasty remark about them and their flaws.
After the intervention I turned to Erato and said softly, “You met me at a very strange time of my life.”


A.D.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Dandy one signs Off

Secrets of a River

Melting into his arms...